More Good Economic News On Friday
New jobs surged in October and wages rose by the largest year-over-year amount in nearly a decade.
Here's a roundup up of the financial news you need to know.
Real disposable income — personal income after taxes, adjusted for inflation and divided by the number of people in U.S. — in the 12 months ended October 31, grew 2.8%. In the five-year economic boom preceding The Great Recession, real personal disposable personal income grew by 2.2%. In the last 12 months, RDPI grew 30% faster than in the last expansion.
Car sales shifted into high gear in October. After car sales in September spiked to 17.9 million, the expectation was that car sales would cool in October. Nope! They went to 18 million.
September housing starts came in at 1.2 million, well below the Council of Economic Advisers February 2018 projection in the "Economic Report of the President."
The Standard & Poor's 500 closed on Friday at 2723.06, just 7% off its all-time high, and the double-digit market correction of October halted in the last week. The correction could resume; no one can predict the next market turn, and past performance does not guarantee your future results. Meanwhile, the economy remains strong and shows no sign of falling into a recession and turning the October's correction into a bear market drop.
This article was written by a veteran financial journalist based on data compiled and analyzed by independent economist, Fritz Meyer. While these are sources we believe to be reliable, the information is not intended to be used as financial or tax advice without consulting a professional about your personal situation. Tax laws are subject to change. Indices are unmanaged and not available for direct investment. Investments with higher return potential carry greater risk for loss. Past performance is not an indicator of your future results.
- Key Facts About Tariffs, Interest Rates, And Economic Strength
- Fed Chair Extends A Dovish Hand, Lifting Stocks
- S&P 500 Slid Last Week, As Earnings Growth Is Recalibrated
- Last Chance For Pre-Retired Professionals & Biz Owners
- Amid A Swirl Of Controversy, Fed Policy Remained Stable
- More Good Economic News On Friday
- Is Amazon Keeping The Inflation Rate Low?
- Analyzing The Market Correction
- This Week In Stocks And The Economy
- Analyzing The Risk Of Stocks After The 6.9% Drop
- Fed Chair: "We Remain In Extraordinary Times."
- With The S&P 500 Up 7.2% In 3Q18, What's Driving Stocks?
- Widespread Misinformation Follows Household Median Income Report
- Investment Wisdom At A Poignant Moment In History
- Good Economic Surprises Happening Now
- Economic Facts To Prepare For The Elections
- Another Member Of Music Royalty Dies With No Will
- Top 10 Indications The Economic Outlook Is Brighter Than Expected
- Wealth And Economic News This Week (2-Minute Read)
- 10 Things: New Education Tax Breaks For A Child Or Grandchild
- The Truth About U.S. GDP Growth
- Despite Distractions, Economic Data Boomed Last Week
- Protect Yourself Against Spearphishing
- Even The New York Times Gets Investment Facts Wrong Sometimes